We spend our entire day on our feet so it’s not surprising that they experience quite a bit of wear and tear. Sometimes our feet deserve a treat and this apple cider vinegar soak gives them just that. For better results, always use organic, unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with the ‘mother’ or culture still in the bottle. It should have a cloudy appearance. Here’s a host of benefits that come along with using ACV on your feet.
1. Removes Dead Skin
You’re more likely to get corns and calluses if you wear uncomfortable shoes. The skin hardens to protect your feet from blisters and wounds. The acid content in apple cider vinegar can help slightly exfoliate the skin. Using this bath can help remove dead skin cells and expose newer, soft skin underneath. Regular use of this soak can help reduce the appearance of calluses and corns on your feet.
2. Balances pH
3. Boosts Anti-Fungal Properties
Apple cider vinegar has anti-fungal properties. This is great for foot-related issues like toenail fungus or athlete’s foot.2 This soak may be a great way to treat these problems or keep them at bay
Soothes Sore Muscles
Apple cider vinegar is said to have anti-inflammatory properties which may help when you have sore, tired, and aching feet after a long day of work. It can help reduce pain and swelling if there is any.
5. Reduces Symptoms Of Varicosity
Studies showed that patients with varicose veins showed reduced itching, pigmentation, soreness, and cramping when apple cider vinegar was applied to their legs externally.3
Thanks to the anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar, it can be extremely effective in killing odor-causing bacteria and fungi.
7. Removes Warts
Apple cider vinegar may have anti-viral properties. Since, warts are an infection caused by viruses in the human papillomavirus, or HPV, family, this explains why it may be helpful in removing these annoying bumps on our feet. Alternatively, you can soak a ball of cotton wool and use a band-aid to keep it in place over your wart. Leave this on overnight. With regular use, your wart should disappear over time.
Apple Cider Vinegar Soak For Feet
- Use a tub that can fit your feet comfortably
- Fill it about two-thirds with warm water
- Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- Before soaking your feet, wash them thoroughly with soap and water
- Soak your feet for 30 minutes and then dry off. The scent of the vinegar will fade once your feet dry completely
- Do not use this remedy if you have open wounds or bleeding cracks on your feet
- Don’t use this soak too often as warm water can dry your skin out. Use this remedy sparingly for dry, cracked or sore feet. Do this nightly and moisturize your feet immediately. For best results, put on socks before going to bed
- If you are diabetic, soaking your feet may increase the chances of infection. Consult your physician before trying out any foot-related home remedies
Apple cider vinegar has a host of benefits and can be used in a number of different remedies. But, your tired feet will definitely thank you for trying out this one.
|↑1||Do You REALLY Get It? The Skin I Mean. Aesthetic Science Institute.|
|↑2||Mota, Ana Carolina Loureiro Gama, Ricardo Dias Castro, Julyana Araújo Oliveira, and Edeltrudes Oliveira Lima. “Antifungal activity of apple cider vinegar on candida species involved in denture stomatitis.” Journal of Prosthodontics 24, no. 4 (2015): 296-302.|
|↑3||Atik, Derya, Cem Atik, and Celalettin Karatepe. “The effect of external apple vinegar application on varicosity symptoms, pain, and social appearance anxiety: a randomized controlled trial.” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2016 (2016).|