Coconut water is your best friend on days when you’re outdoors and completely dehydrated. But its uses don’t end there! Feeling lousy due to a hangover? Want to improve your gut health? Want to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles? Suffering from hair fall? There’s one solution to all your problems – coconut water! To top it all, coconut water can even replace water while cooking.
Using coconut water instead of regular water, be it for cooking or for washing your face, will provide you with many health benefits, thanks to its fiber, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and other mineral content.1 Coconut water can be used to make a myriad of dishes, from popsicles and cocktails to coffee. It can even be used as a topical application. Not sure how to make coconut water a part of your life? Here are 9 new ways of using coconut water on a daily basis.
1. As A Face Mask
To reduce tan and pigmentation, you can apply a face mask made with coconut water and fuller’s earth to give your skin a natural glow. Here’s how:
- 2 tablespoon fuller’s earth
- 3 tablespoons coconut water
- In a bowl, combine coconut water and fuller’s earth.
- Mix thoroughly to form a thin and smooth paste
- Apply the paste to your skin and leave it for 15–20 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
Don’t like your harsh makeup remover? Dip a ball of cotton in coconut water and use it for removing makeup. This will also hydrate and brighten your skin.
2. As A Haircare Remedy
Coconut water is an inexpensive but effective remedy for all your hair troubles. Just like how coconut water moisturizes your skin, it also hydrates and moisturizes your scalp, thereby treating dandruff and making your hair shinier. It contains lauric acid that strengthens your hair and reduces hair fall.
- ½ cup fresh coconut water
- Massage the coconut water on to your scalp for about 5 minutes.
- Work through the rest of your hair and let it rest for 20–30 minutes. You can also leave it overnight.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly.
3. To Treat A Bad Hangover
When you drink alcohol, it gets broken down in the body, which leads to the formation of free radicals. When there are not enough antioxidants in the body to fight these free radicals, you face oxidative stress, which affects the organs and tissues. To combat all of these, drink coconut water, the perfect hangover cure.
Drink fresh coconut water before going to bed after drinking alcohol. You can also drink it the next day to hydrate yourself and bring down the fatigue and nausea associated with the hangover.
4. For An Immunity Boost
Coconut water kefir is a fermented beverage that can boost your immune system, improve your gut health, and is rich in electrolytes. It is a probiotic which helps to restore the balance in your gut, which in turn improves digestion. Although it is usually made with cow, goat, or sheep milk, it is equally nutritious and tasty when made with coconut water.
- ¼ cup hydrated water kefir grains
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 cups of coconut water
- Add ¼ cup of sugar to a jar.
- To this, add coconut water and stir thoroughly to dissolve the sugar.
- Add kefir grains to the sweetened coconut water and cover with a plastic lid or cloth cover.
- Let it sit for 24–48 hours but not longer than 72 hours as the grains will start disintegrating.
- Remove the grains and enjoy the healthy drink.
- If you are not using sugar, taste it in 24 hours to check if it has fermented.
5. In Iced Coffee
Why use plain water in your coffee when you can get the antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals in coconut water? Coconut water is a nutrient-rich, low-calorie beverage that is naturally sweet and gives a distinct flavor to coffee. Drinking iced coffee made with coconut water will not hydrate you but will also suppress your appetite as it is high in protein.
- 1 cup coconut water
- ½ cup cold brew coffee
- Pour the coconut water and cold brew coffee into it.
- Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Add a few ice cubes if required.
You can also add coconut milk for a creamy texture.
6. To Make Popsicles
Popsicles made with coconut water and fruits are just the perfect healthy frozen treats for a hot summer day. Simply throw in some fruits into a popsicle mold and pour the coconut water into it until full. Place the mold in the freezer and enjoy once completely frozen.
7. As A Salad Dressing
Salads are healthy by themselves, and adding coconut water as a salad dressing will give it a great nutritional boost.
- ¼ cup coconut water
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Sea salt
- In a bowl, combine coconut water, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- To this, add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix well and enjoy.
8. In Cocktails
Cocktails are full of sugar and calories, thanks to the sugary syrups and fruits juices that go into it. However, you can make cocktails healthier and give your drink a natural flavor by adding some coconut water to it.
- 1 oz tequila
- 3 oz coconut water
- 3 oz fresh lemonade
- ½ thinly sliced jalapeno
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker.
- To this, add all the ingredients and shake vigorously.
- Pour it into a glass and garnish with the jalapeno slices.
- Serve cold.
Note: Little is known about how safe coconut water is for pregnant and breastfeeding women. So, to be on the safe side and avoid using it.
|↑1||Basic Report: 12119, Nuts, coconut water (liquid from coconuts). United States Department of Agriculture.|
|↑2||Fabi, Sabrina, and Hema Sundaram. “The potential of topical and injectable growth factors and cytokines for skin rejuvenation.” Facial Plastic Surgery 30, no. 02 (2014): 157-171.|
|↑3||DebMandal, Manisha, and Shyamapada Mandal. “Coconut (Cocos nucifera L.: Arecaceae): in health promotion and disease prevention.” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine 4, no. 3 (2011): 241-247.|
|↑4||Hangover treatment. MedlinePlus, U.S. National Library of Medicine.|