When you’re hungry between meals, a healthy low-sugar snack is the ideal interim relief. It neither interferes with your scheduled meal nor contributes to your sugar levels or calories. These tasty snacks are easy to prepare and need minimal cooking. Try out these lip-smacking recipes to tickle your taste buds.
1. Whole Grain Waffle With Lemon-Herb Ricotta
The whole grain waffle makes for a tasty and filling snack, while a maintaining a low sugar content.
- 1 7-grain waffles (each waffle contains 70 calories and just 1.5g sugar)
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs (parsley, oregano, and tarragon)
- Add some finely chopped fresh organic herbs to the ricotta.
- Add the lemon zest to the ricotta and mix it well.
- Toast the waffle and top it with the ricotta mixture.
2. Peanut Butter Oatmeal
- A small bowl of oatmeal
- 1 sliced apple
- 2 teaspoons peanut butter
- 3 teaspoons low-fat yogurt
- Slice or cut an apple into cubes and add it to a bowl of oatmeal.
- Add the yogurt and the peanut butter and mix it.
3. Red Bell Pepper With Guacamole
Bell peppers have high levels of antioxidants and also rich in vitamin C. One large red bell pepper contains over 300 percent of the recommended daily intake for vitamin C. Guacamole provides healthy fats and fiber and the total calorie count of this snack is less than 200.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 oz (85 grams) of guacamole
- Cut the bell pepper into two halves and remove the seeds.
- Spread the guacamole on the pepper or use it as a dip.
Chips And Guacamole
The garnished guacamole is great for health and the chips are made from organic corn and black beans. The protein and fiber content keeps you feeling full for a longer time.
- 1/3 mashed avocado
- 2 tablespoon chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- A pinch each of garlic powder, chili powder, and sea salt.
- 10 black bean tortilla chips
- To prepare the dip, mix the mashed avocado, chopped tomatoes, and onions.
- Add lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, and sea salt to the mix.
- Serve this delicious dip with the chips.
5. Lemony Quinoa-Apricot Muffins
This is a healthy and yummy snack that take just under 45 minutes to prepare and is low in sugar.
- 3/4 cup 1 percent milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon expeller pressed canola oil
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Break an egg in a large bowl and add the milk, canola oil, lemon zest and the vanilla extract.
- Whisk the ingredients well to make a fine mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the contents of both bowls and mix it well.
- Fold in the cooked quinoa and the dried apricots.
- Place the muffin paper cups in the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Creamy Blueberry-Almond Smoothie
Smoothies are super-easy to make and are great at supercharging you instantly.
- 1½ cups fortified milk
- 1/2 cup fortified orange juice
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- Pour the milk, orange juice, almond butter, frozen blueberries, sliced banana, and crushed ice into a blender and run it till it becomes a thick smoothie.
7. Curry Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup rinsed, drained, and dried chickpeas (salt-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- A pinch each of cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and sea salt.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chickpeas and cook 5-7 minutes, tossing it frequently.
- Sprinkle the curry powder, give it a mix, and then add the cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and sea salt.
- Mix it well, take it off the heat and serve.
8. Parmesan-Chive Popcorn
Popcorn is an anytime-eat. Whether you’re watching the movies or working or just doing nothing, popcorn is great to munch on. They make you feel full quickly and taste even better when you garnish it with spices or herbs.
- 2 tablespoons organic popcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon water
- 2 pinches of garlic powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- Pop the popcorn kernels in the microwave.
- Whisk the Parmesan, olive oil, and water in a small microwave-compatible bowl.
- Add the garlic powder and sea salt to it and mix well.
- Microwave the contents of the bowl for 10 seconds.
- Sprinkle the chives and the mixture over the popcorn and toss well.