Lipsticks are an essential part of a make-up kit. They add a lovely color to your lips but the lipsticks that are available in the market may contain harmful ingredients that can affect your lips and also your health.
Certain ingredients found in lipsticks can lead to respiratory problems, cognitive problems, affect fertility in both men and women and also cause cancer. Although it is convenient to buy a lipstick, if it is affecting your health in some way, it is not worth it. Making lipsticks at home may require an extra effort but it is a safer option as it contains natural ingredients without any side effects.
Toxic Ingredients Found In Commercial Lipsticks
A study conducted on lipsticks, by the University of California found that lipsticks contained harmful metals like lead, cadmium, chromium, aluminum, and manganese, in addition to 4 other toxic metals.1
Furthermore, pregnant women should avoid using these lipsticks regularly as the toxic ingredients can affect the development of the fetus.
All-Natural Lipstick Recipe
Making your own lipstick at home is easy and safer to use. It contains harmless ingredients that can keep your lips healthy, without harming your health.
Here are 4 ingredients you will need to make your natural lipstick.
- Beetroot: In addition to adding color to your lips, beetroot can also help you get rid off any pigmentation due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can also protect your lips from sun damage.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can help to cure the dryness of your lips. It is great for the winter to make your lips smooth when you have cracked or chapped lips.
- Cocoa Butter: Not only does cocoa butter provide moisture to your lips, it can also help to retain it and make your lips soft. Shea butter has the same benefits as cocoa butter and can be used instead of it.
- Beeswax: It acts as a protective barrier against irritants and toxins and can also lock the moisture in.
- 1 beetroot
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon cocoa butter/shea butter
- ½ teaspoon beeswax
- To make the beetroot powder, slice the beetroot into thin strips and dehydrate them for 6 to 8 hours at 120 degrees. Once they have dried completely, blend them to form a fine powder.
- In a glass jar, add beeswax, cocoa butter, and coconut oil.
- Place this glass jar, without the lid, into a small pot of warm water to melt the ingredients.
- Once the ingredients are melted, add ½ teaspoon of beetroot powder and mix well.
- Let this steep for a few minutes and remove the heat.
- Strain the liquid to remove any large particles and pour it into the container.
- Let it cool till it is solid and store it in a cool place.
Beetroot powder gives a red hue. For brown or tan hues, you can use cocoa powder. You can also add an essential oil of your choice to give the lipstick a scent.
|↑1||Liu, Sa, S. Katharine Hammond, and Ann Rojas-Cheatham. “Concentrations and potential health risks of metals in lip products.” Environmental health perspectives 121, no. 6 (2013): 705.|
|↑2||Bernard, Alfred. “Cadmium & its adverse effects on human health.” Indian Journal of Medical Research 128, no. 4 (2008): 557.|