Few things are more frustrating than a case of persistent acne. Pimples popping up all over your face can be unsightly, painful and affect your self-esteem. Ironically, most medicines that are supposed to heal acne can end up making it worse. Benzoyl peroxide and retinol are commonly prescribed for acne, but they can dry out the skin, making it more sensitive. You don’t need expensive treatments to clear up your acne when there are natural ingredients which are just as effective. Green tea is very powerful against acne because it’s a natural antioxidant and has soothing properties. These DIY green tea recipes require only three ingredients to give you the clear skin of your dreams.
1. Balancing Green Tea Toner
A good toner is very important when you have acne because it can remove any last trace of dirt that’s left on your face. Toners can also hydrate the skin, balance the pH levels and prep your skin for a moisturizer. Keeping the pH level of your skin balanced is essential because too low or too high pH levels can lead to an acne outbreak. Most commercial toners have harsh ingredients like alcohol and fragrance which can aggravate your acne. This DIY toner, on the other hand, is completely safe and gentle.
2. ¼ cup unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar
3. 4-5 drops of your favorite essential oil (you can choose from tea tree oil, orange, lavender and more)
1. Mix all the ingredients together and store in a spray bottle. You can keep this bottle in your fridge, so it’s refreshingly cool when you need to use it.
2. After you clean your face with a face wash, spritz your face directly with this toner. Pat it into your skin until it’s dry.
This natural toner combines three potent acne-fighting ingredients to give you beautiful, clear skin. Apple cider vinegar maintains your skin’s acidic layer, killing acne-causing bacteria. Essential oils like tea tree and lavender soothe the skin and protect it from acne.
2. Gentle Exfoliating Green Tea Scrub
1. 1 tbsp matcha green tea
2. ½ cup ground oatmeal
3. 1 tbsp avocado oil
1. Mix all the ingredients together and gently rub over your face in circular motions. Do this for about 2-3 minutes before washing off. Repeat once a week.
2. You can store this mixture in an airtight jar and use it when you need to.
3. Detoxifying Green Tea Face Pack
Your skin comes into contact with toxins every single day from pollution and dirt. These particles can get trapped in your pores and lead to severe breakouts. Sometimes, a simple face wash isn’t enough to extract these toxins because they’re so deeply embedded. This is why people with acne need to use a heavy-duty face pack at least once a week to suck out all the gunk from their pores.
1. ½ tsp matcha green tea
2. 2 capsules of activated charcoal
3. ½ tsp bentonite clay
4. Filtered water as needed
1. Mix together all the dry ingredients until fully combined.
2. Slowly start adding the filtered water and keep mixing until it forms a thick paste. You can even use brewed green tea instead of water for extra antioxidants.
3. Apply this paste evenly over your face, avoiding your delicate eye contour. Leave it on to dry for about 15 minutes and then wash off.