Bothered by the “dimpled”, “cottage-cheese-like” appearance on your butt? You’re not alone. Post-puberty, over 85% of women get affected by cellulite – yes, even the stick-thin models you see on television have some cellulite on the body! Affecting more women than men, cellulite becomes more noticeable with age and weight gain. It is widely believed that by losing weight, you can reduce the visibility of cellulite to a certain extent.
When the fat cells in your body protrude into the outer layer of the skin, it creates a bumpy, uneven, dimpled surface that we refer to as cellulite. However, it’s important to remember that your cellulite needn’t be a source of embarrassment or insecurity – it’s perfectly normal to have them on your body. If you’re looking to get rid of the cellulite on your buttocks, exercise is the way to go. And here are some exercises that are known to reduce the visibility of cellulite on your butt.1
Lunges work your calf muscles and your butt. They also target your gluteus minimus and medius, thus toning your buttocks and reducing cellulite.
Steps To Perform Lunges
- Stand tall with your hands raised up over your head.
- With your left foot, take a step backward.
- Lower your hips such that your right calf is parallel to the floor.
- Lower your left leg such that your left knee almost touches the floor.
- By pressing your right leg against the floor, rise up to your initial position.
- Repeat the process with your left leg.
- Continue until each leg is worked 10 times.
- To challenge yourself further, perform the exercise by holding dumbells.
2. Chair Pose
This exercise strengthens your butt muscles and helps you lose unwanted fat from the posterior region.
Steps To Perform Chair Pose
- Stand straight with your feet placed apart at hip-width.
- Stretch your arms ahead of you.
- Now, slowly lower your butt.
- Continue to lower your butt till your thighs are perpendicular to the floor.
- Your position should now resemble that of a chair.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise 5 times.
3. Kick-Back Squats
This type of squat is known for toning your butt without loosening your skin. It also strengthens and work your hamstrings and calf muscles.
Steps To Perform Kick-Back Squats
- Stand with your feet placed apart at shoulder-width.
- Raise your heels.
- Lower your butt toward the floor until your knees are at a 90° angle.
- Kick your left leg behind you so that it is parallel to the floor.
- At the same time, extend your left arm forward in front of you.
- Alternating between legs and repeat the exercise 10 times.
Toe-taps effectively reduce the visibility of cellulite by tightening your butt and working your glutes.
- With your arms on your sides, lie on the floor.
- Lift both your feet and bend them at your knee.
- Your thighs should now be perpendicular to the floor.
- Now bring down your left foot toward the floor.
- Tap your toes to the floor.
- Next, tap the floor with toes of your right foot.
- Alternate between legs for one minute.
Considered one of the best exercises for your butt, step-ups work your hamstrings and tighten your glutes.
Steps To Perform Step-Ups
- Stand in front of a step or a bench that is at an elevated position.
- Holding a pair of dumbbells, place your left foot firmly on the bench.
- Push your body up till you are standing with one foot on the bench.
- Make sure that your right foot is elevated and off the bench.
- Now, lower your right foot till it reaches the floor and then climb down.
- Alternate between legs for two minute.
These exercises not only reduce the visibility of cellulite on your butt but also promote lower body strength and tone your calf muscles.
|↑1||Kravitz, Len, and Nicole J. Achenbach. “Cellulite: A Review of Its Anatomy, Physiology and Treatment.” IDEA Fitness Journal 7, no. 4 (2010): 36-43.|