Most of us ignore the occasional appearance of a gray hair here and there. But when it goes slightly out of control, it sends us into a panic mode. We end up trying several expensive ways to reduce or cover it up and some of the ways are harsh for your hair and delicate scalp.
Your hair loves natural ingredients. It’s simple and nourishing for your hair. And there’s no fear of harmful chemicals (or a burn in your pocket). Here are the most recommended remedies from Ayurveda to get rid of premature graying.
1. Henna And Amla
Henna is one of the oldest remedies to get rid of gray hair and bring back strong, healthy, and dark hair. Amla (known as Indian gooseberry) is rich in vitamin C, nicknamed the anti-aging vitamin, that helps to stimulate the scalp and get rid of dead skin cells.
- Mix equal parts of henna powder and amla powder in a bowl of water
- Let it rest for an hour
- Apply the paste generously on your scalp and the lengths of your hair
- Wait for 2 hours
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo
2. Shikakai And Amla
Another option to mix with amla is shikakai aka acacia concinna. Packed with vitamins C and D, shikakai is an extremely popular ayurvedic remedy for bringing back life to your hair and reducing gray hair. To make shikakai powder, you could simply grind the fruit pods. If you can’t get shikakai pods, buy a packet of organic shikakai powder from your local department store.
- Add 3 tablespoons of shikakai powder and amla powder in a bowl of water
- Cover the bowl and let it rest overnight
- Wash your hair in the morning with this mixture
- Do this once a week
3. Castor Oil
- Apply castor oil on your scalp and along your hair strands
- Leave it on overnight
- Wash it off first thing in the morning
- Repeat once a week
4. Onion Juice
Onion is packed with anti-bacterial properties and scalp stimulating powers. It also contains catalase, an enzyme that prevents premature graying. One study revealed applying onion juice provided relief to people who suffer alopecia areata (a disease that causes extreme hair loss resulting in several bald patches). 84% of the people had better hair growths after applying onion juice a few times in a month.
- Apply generous coats of onion juice on your scalp and hair
- Massage the scalp gently
- Leave it on for the night
- Wash it off the next day with a mild shampoo
Buttermilk And Curry Leaves
The combination of buttermilk and curry leaves is an ancient remedy for getting back your hair’s natural color. It contains lactic acid that makes buttermilk useful as a natural conditioner. Curry leaves are packed with nutrients that aid hair growth.
- Mix equal parts of buttermilk and curry leaf juice
- Heat it until the mixture is just lukewarm
- Apply it all over your scalp
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water
- Repeat this twice a week
6. Coconut Oil And Lemon Juice
Coconut oil is one of the best remedies for any of your hair woes. It nourishes your hair inside and out, hydrates your hair, and reduces premature graying.1 Lemon is a natural antibacterial and anti-fungal agent that helps to reduce hair loss.
- Mix a quarter cup of coconut oil with the juice of one full lemon
- Stir it well
- Apply the ointment on your scalp, roots, and along the length of your hair
- Wrap a shower cap around your hair and let it remain overnight
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo the next day
With all natural remedies, patience is key. Let us know what’s working for you. Here’s to healthy and happy hair!
|↑1||Rele, Aarti S., and R. B. Mohile. “Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage.” Journal