Your skin needs your love and attention. It does a whole lot for you, from protecting your insides to controlling your body temperature. And yet, skin care is often neglected by us. Having a good skin care routine is important if you want to have healthy, glowing, youthful skin. A good routine does not necessarily have to include lots of expensive creams and scrubs. Here are some skincare hacks that are easy for you to do at home with just ingredients you can find in your kitchen.
1. Two-Ingredient Sugar Face Scrub
Coconut oil and sugar are the only two ingredients you will need for this simple scrub. For centuries, people around the globe have been using coconut oil for it’s many benefits, including it’s powerful moisturizing property.1 Coconut also has antibacterial and antifungal features. Sugar acts as a natural scrub to clear away impurities and dead skin.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon sugar
1. Get a bowl and mix the coconut oil with the sugar and stir to make the scrub. Take out small amounts of the scrub and rub it onto your face and neck for 60 seconds, using gentle circular motions. Rinse off the scrub with cold water and you are done.
2. If you want to save time, you can mix larger portions and store away for up to 3 months. You should be storing the mixture in the fridge if you live in warmer climates.
2. Honey And Oatmeal Facial Scrub
Honey not only has moisturizing properties and antiseptic qualities, but it is also great to control breakouts. If you have scars on the skin, honey works to reduce them.2 Oatmeal is an excellent exfoliant and is also packed with healing amino acids. Additionally, it’s moisturizing and hypoallergenic.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup of uncooked oats
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 15 drops melaleuca essential oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 tsp dried lavender (optional)
1. Put the oatmeal in a blender and run it just enough to break it into smaller bits. Make sure that you do not make it too powdery.
2. Place the oatmeal in a bowl and add all the other ingredients to it. Dried lavender is optional.
3. Add more honey to the mixture if you feel it is necessary to combine the ingredients.
4. Use the scrub as you would any other (using circular motions) and wash off with cold water. You can store this scrub for up to two weeks.
Tomato Juice And Coconut Milk Mask
The benefits of the tomato juice and coconut milk mask are multifold. The fruit acid in tomato helps unclog pores and shrink them. The coconut milk hydrates the skin leaving it supple and smooth. These ingredients stimulate blood circulation and provide radiance to the face. This mask is particularly useful to remove oil, dirt, and makeup from the skin. Also, if used regularly, it helps diminish signs of aging such as wrinkles, fine lines, and brown spots.
- 1 tablespoon tomato juice
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk
1. Simply mix the two ingredients and apply a layer on your face at night. Once dried, apply another layer or two on top and leave overnight.
2. Wash off in the morning for bright, glowing face.
Peel Off Mask
Although this mask is particularly useful for acne prone skin, as it reduces the size of pores and heals blemishes, it works wonders for all kinds of skin types. It will leave your skin feeling renewed and looking very clear.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. In a small bowl beat the egg white and add lemon juice.
2. Using a cotton ball or a face brush, apply the mixture all over your face and neck.
3. After 20 minutes or once dried, peel off the mask and wash the face with lukewarm water.
When applied to the skin, the high levels of fat and vitamins like A, E and D moisturize the skin and works as an anti-ager.
- 1 ripe avocado
1. Find a ripe avocado, eat the fruit, and lightly rub the inner side of the peel to your face.
2. Wait for 15 minutes before you wash it off with lukewarm water.
If you are looking for a face mask that can help you in the dry, cold weather of winter, one with beeswax as the main ingredient is your best bet. Beeswax locks in moisture without clogging up the pores. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that fight bacterial infections, keeping blemishes at bay.
- 4 ounces of organic almond oil
- 1 ounce of beeswax
- 2 ounces of distilled water
- 10 drops of vitamin E oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
1. Put the organic almond oil and the beeswax in a stewpot and place on the fire. Stir until mixed well and then remove from the heat.
2. Add the distilled water, vitamin E oil, lavender essential oil, and stir until the mixture has cooled.
3. nce cooled, apply evenly to the face and neck or just to patches that are very dry.
4. You can store it away and use it daily for best results.
|↑1||Agero, Anna Liza, and V. Verallo‐Rowell. “P15 A randomized double‐blind controlled trial comparing extra‐virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis.” Contact Dermatitis 50, no. 3 (2004): 183-183.|
|↑2||Molan, Peter C. “Potential of honey in the treatment of wounds and burns.” American journal of clinical dermatology 2, no. 1 (2001): 13-19.|