Gautama Buddha is the enlightened being known as the founder of Buddhism. He has been a guiding light for spiritual seekers for over 2500 years. There are so many beautiful, powerful and life-changing lessons one can learn from studying Buddhism and from reading many of Buddha’s quotes. Here are 25 life-changing lessons from Buddha.
1. You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
2. When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.
3. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
4. Three things cannot be long hidden: The sun, the moon, and the truth.
Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
6. To understand everything is to forgive everything.
7. The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.
8. You cannot travel the path until you become the path itself.
9. However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
10. A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.
11. The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
12. Have compassion for all beings. Rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.
13. Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.
14. The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
15. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
16. Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.
17. Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.
18. What we think, we become.
19. To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.
20. Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
21. He who loves 50 people has 50 woes. He who loves no one has no woes.
22. To keep the body in good health is a duty otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
23. Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
24. Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.