Probiotic home cleaning is an inspired new way of cleaning homes. You might have heard the term ‘probiotic’ in yogurt and health supplements commercials. And if you are trying to find similarities between the two, then you’re on the right track.
Probiotic cleaners consist of bacteria which are good for us. And They use these good bacteria to wipe out bad bacteria to maintain a healthy environment inside our homes. But you must be thinking why you should opt for probiotic cleaner over your regular one, right? Well, read on to know why.
Why Should You Switch To Probiotic Home Cleaners?
You have been using harsh chemicals masquerading as cleaning agents to clean your houses for far too long. These chemical agents are not only lethal for naturally present good bacteria, but also for you, your pets, plants, and the environment. There are plenty more disadvantages to these cleaners that are yet to become common knowledge. Here is a list of disadvantages:1.
- Asthma: The fumes that come out of some of these cleaning agents can cause or aggravate asthma. Many cleaning sprays contain suspended particles that can greatly increase the risk of asthma in people. 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium chloride, diethanolamine, and dioctyl dimethyl ammonium chloride are a few known allergens.
- Cancer: Formaldehyde is a known human carcinogen and has been designated so by the World Health Organization. It was a popular chemical to be used in cleaners. But since the exposé, manufacturers have stopped using this chemical but still use preservatives like bronopol which release formaldehyde as a byproduct. Another carcinogen that can be easily found in laundry detergents is 1,4-dioxane. Animal studies have shown that this chemical increases liver tumors.
- Reproductive Problems: Borax and boric acids are found in dishwashing and laundry cleaners. Prolonged exposure can decrease libido and sperm counts in men and fertility in women.
- Hormone Disruption: Triclosan is one of the ingredients that was extensively used in the manufacturing of cleaning products earlier. According to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration), studies on animals have shown that exposure to a high amount of triclosan can diminish thyroid production. But now thankfully, this ingredient has been banned from being used as a cleaning agent by the FDA. 2
And this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to harmful effects of chemical cleaners.
Should Your House Be 99.9 Percent Germ-Free?
Most of the commercially available cleaning products proudly say that they can remove 99.9% germs, but what they don’t mention is that they kill even the ones that are beneficial to us. When you fall sick and take antibiotics, those tablets kill all the bacteria inside your body, both good and bad. That is why it is not advisable to consume antibiotics every now and then. By doing so, your good bacteria tend to take a hit leaving behind an unhealthy imbalance in your gut. This is exactly what your chemical cleaners are doing to your house fauna and overall environment. Also, repeated use of detergents and cleaning agents can give rise to ‘superbugs’ (strains of bacteria that are resistant).
The easy fix to this problem is to switch to probiotic cleaners.
How Do Probiotic Cleaners Work?
Chemical detergents and cleaners wipe away dirt, grime, and the entire community of bacteria including the good ones. But these surfaces quickly get re-populated with dirt and bad bacteria that are present in the air. But probiotic cleaners contain good bacteria that can produce a combination of bacteriocins (bacterial proteins), enzymes, and bio-chemicals which can clean as well as detoxify a surface naturally.
Why Do You Need Good Bacteria?
When you are exposed to a bad strain of bacteria, you fall sick. But good bacteria has the exact opposite effect; it brings good health. Your body is an endless pit of bacteria, most of which reside in your gut and on your skin. Bacteria like Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa live on your skin and they can even protect you from other harmful bacteria. An overgrowth is never good, but an optimum amount of good bacteria in your body enhances the quality of your life, which is why you require good bacteria to exist.4
Pros And Cons Of Probiotic Cleaners
Though probiotic home cleaning is rather new, it has several benefits. Here is a list of pros.
- Probiotic cleaning agents tend to be concentrated, natural, and eco-friendly.
- They are non-toxic in nature and take relatively lesser time to clean a space as the probiotic organisms continue to clean even after you have done your part.
- Many available probiotic products can be used for greywater systems but it is better that you confirm the same with the manufacturers beforehand.
But there are a few limitations too.
- These cleaners can’t be used on stone surfaces.
- Also, it is better that you refrain from using them on unsealed wood.
Hopefully, all this information will help you make a better lifestyle choice. If a healthy balance and cleanliness in what you seek, then consider giving probiotic cleaners a try.
|↑1||Environmental Working Group. Cleaning Supplies and Your Health.|
|↑2|| U.S. Food & Drug Administration.
|↑3||Thomas, Pat. “The Dawn of the Domestic Superbug.” The Ecologist.” July/August . 2005.|
|↑4||Cogen, A. L., V. Nizet, and R. L. Gallo. “Skin microbiota: a source of disease or defence?.” British Journal of Dermatology 158, no. 3 (2008): 442-455.|