Periods can be downright distressing for both your body and mind. If your periods are usually heavy with excessive blood flow and unbearable cramps, your days of bleeding will be the most dreaded days of the month. Although there could be many reasons why you are experiencing severe menstrual bleeding, apple cider vinegar has been found to be an excellent remedy for it.
Reasons Why Your Menstrual Flow Is Heavy
Your menstrual bleeding can be heavy due to an underlying condition. Often it hormonal imbalances could be the cause and less frequently, it could be due to ovarian and uterine disorders. Here are the common causes of heavy bleeding.1
- Hormone imbalance: Any changes in the levels of estrogen and progesterone can lead to the excessive shedding of the uterine wall which manifests as severe bleeding. Obesity, diabetes, thyroid disorder and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) can cause hormonal disturbances in women.
- Ovarian dysfunction: If your ovaries aren’t releasing an egg during the menstrual cycle, it can cause heavy bleeding.
- Uterine fibroids: These noncancerous tumors of the uterus appear during the childbearing years. They can also be the reason behind heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
- Polyps: Benign polyp-like growths in the uterine lining can lead to heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
- Adenomyosis: When endometrial glands get embedded in the uterine muscle it can lead to heavy bleeding and painful periods.
- Intrauterine device (IUD): Excessive bleeding can develop as a side effect of using a nonhormonal intrauterine device for birth control.
- Cancer: Prolonged bleeding with severe fatigue and cramps in postmenopausal women can be an indication of cervical or uterine cancer.
- Inherited bleeding disorders: Bleeding disorders like von Willebrand’s disease can be associated with a heavy menstrual flow.
- Medications: Women who are on blood thinning medications or anti-inflammatory drugs or hormonal preparations like estrogen and progestins can experience heavy menstrual bleeding.
Effect Of Apple Cider Vinegar On Menstrual Flow
Several scientific studies have found that having a daily intake of apple cider vinegar will not only reduce heavy menstrual bleeding but also boost the health of your reproductive system.
- It can help in lowering insulin resistance which is commonly seen in women with PCOS.
- It has also been very effective in relieving severe menstrual cramps.
- It detoxifies the body by flushing out toxins from your body.
- It relieves bloating and intestinal discomfort during menses which can improve bowel movement and reduce hunger pangs too.
- A scientific study had also found that consumption of apple cider vinegar (ACV) in women with irregular and heavy periods due to PCOS can be beneficial in boosting fertility and making periods regular.2
Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar To Reduce Heavy Bleeding
Dilute it in a glass of water and drink it through a straw so that you prevent unnecessary exposure of your enamel to acetic acid. Rinse your mouth after having it and wait at least 30 minutes before brushing your teeth.
Remember, apple cider vinegar is not a quick fix for heavy menstrual bleeding. You can expect results only after daily consumption for a month. It’s advised to consult with your doctor before you incorporate vinegar into your diet as a remedy for heavy menstrual flow in order to avoid any unexpected side effects.
|↑1||Heavy periods. NHS choices|
|↑2||Wu, Di, Fuminori Kimura, Akiko Takashima, Yoshihiko Shimizu, Akie Takebayashi, Nobuyuki Kita, GuangMei Zhang, and Takashi Murakami. “Intake of vinegar beverage is associated with restoration of ovulatory function in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.” The Tohoku journal of experimental medicine 230, no. 1 (2013): 17-23.|