The gut or the gastrointestinal tract is a long tube that starts at the mouth and ends at the anus. It absorbs the nutrients and energy from the digested food, and expels the waste.
When the lining of the gut is damaged, the toxins and waste products leak into the bloodstream. This results in inflammation, to protect you from the foreign particles. This is why it is important to reduce inflammation in order to heal a damaged gut.
Certain healing foods with anti-inflammatory properties can reduce inflammation and help you heal your gut. Here are 5 recipes that can restore your gut health.
1. Anti-Inflammatory Cashew And Turmeric Milk
Cashew milk is a great substitute for dairy milk and low in saturated fats and calories. Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin which gives it its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Spices like black pepper enhance the benefits of turmeric.1
- 250 ml cashew milk
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
- pinch of vanilla powder
- pinch of black pepper powder
- In a pan, heat the cashew milk for about 3 minutes on medium flame.
- To this, add cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, pepper, vanilla, and ginger.
- Stir it well to remove the lumps.
- Now, remove it from the heat and strain it to remove any leftover chunks and the grated ginger.
You can also add star anise or stevia to increase the sweetness.
2. Chicken Bone Broth Soup
Bone broth contains collagen supports gut health. Collagen contains essential amino acids can reduce inflammation in the intestines. It also heals your gut lining by building the tissue that lines the gastrointestinal tract and colon. Additionally, bone broth is easy to digest as it can be fully broken down.
Ingredients For The Bone Broth
- Whole chicken
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 inch of ginger root
For The Soup
- 4–6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 ½ cup chopped carrots
- 4 zucchinis
- 2 to 3 crushed garlic cloves
- Place the chicken in a pot once you have rinsed it.
- Fill 3 quarters of the pot with water and add the vegetables and herbs.
- Cook it till the water starts boiling.
- Now, reduce the heat and let it simmer for at least 8 hours but not more than 48 hours.
- Once the stock is cool, pour it through a strainer and pour it into a storage container.
- To make the soup, saute the onions and carrots in coconut oil until the onions are soft.
- Now, add broth to it and bring it to a boil.
- Cut thin slices of zucchini and add it to the boiling broth. Simmer it until it is tender.
- To this, add chopped chicken and garlic. once it comes to a boil, turn the heat off.
- Cover it and let it sit for a few minutes.
3. Celery Juice
Celery juice is a refreshing drink that can soothe the digestive tract and reduce inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract.2 This low-calorie juice can also help you shed some extra pounds.
- 1 to 2 bunches of celery
- Juice the celery in a juice or use a blender.
- Drink the juice fresh
When you use a blender, ensure that you strain the big chunks of celery to have a homogeneous mixture.
4. Ginger And Elm Tea
Slippery elm is a tree native to North America. The powdered form of its inner bark is a herbal remedy to treat diarrhea, sore throats, stomach problems, and cough. The antioxidants in this medicinal bark can relieve inflammatory conditions. It triggers the secretion of mucus in the gastrointestinal tract, which helps to protect it from excess acidity and ulcers.3 Ginger also has anti-inflammatory properties and can heal the intestinal lining.
- 1-inch ginger root
- 1 teaspoon slippery elm powder
- 2 cups of water
- In a teapot, grate the ginger root.
- Pour 2cups of water into the pot and boil it.
- Strain it to remove the pieces of ginger root.
- Add slippery elm powder to it and stir till it dissolves in it.
Slippery elm should be used under the supervision of a doctor. Pregnant women should avoid using it as it can increase the risk of miscarriage.
5. Aloe Vera And Spinach Smoothie
Like other leafy greens, spinach is also rich in fiber. By reducing inflammation, it protects and heals the lining of the stomach and digestive tract. Aloe vera juice has healing properties that can restore gut health and can prevent leaky gut syndrome.4
- ½ cup dairy free milk
- ½ cup unsweetened yogurt
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-ounce aloe vera juice
- Add all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Instead of spinach, you can use any other leafy greens like kale, collard greens, and chard.
Note: Avoid caffeine, processed foods, alcohol, and sugar as they can irritate the gut.
|↑1||Jurenka, Julie S. “Anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, a major constituent of Curcuma longa: a review of preclinical and clinical research.” Alternative medicine review 14, no. 2 (2009).|
|↑2||Lewis, David A., Saleh M. Tharib, and G. Bryan A. Veitch. “The anti-inflammatory activity of celery Apium graveolens L.(Fam. Umbelliferae).” International Journal of Crude Drug Research 23, no. 1 (1985): 27-32.|
|↑3||Slippery elm. University
|↑4||Langmead, L., R. J. Makins, and D. S. Rampton. “Anti‐inflammatory effects of aloe vera gel in human colorectal mucosa in vitro.” Alimentary pharmacology & therapeutics 19, no. 5 (2004): 521-527.|